[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jun 1 15:41:30 UTC 2015

On 6/1/15, 06:20, "Dimitri John Ledkov" <dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com> wrote:

>On 29 May 2015 at 14:41, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> TL;DR:
>> - We propose to stop tagging coordinated point releases (like 2015.1.1)
>> - We continue maintaining stable branches as a trusted source of stable
>> updates for all projects though
>>

>Ideally I would still want to see tarballs published, even if they are
>generated with a $ git describe --tags name in it.
>
>E.g. keystone-2015.1.0-3-g1373bfa.tar.gz
>
>keystone-stable-kilo.tar.gz -> is really bad name imho, as it's ever
>changing tarball. It would be nice if that was e.g. a symlink to a
>keystone-2015.1.0-3-g1373bfa.tar.gz if said snapshot is latest.
>
>If the stable tarball snapshots had stable, ever increasing names, I
>would switch to using those straight away. (Out of which $ git
>describe --tags satisfies said requirement)

Except this won't help anyone deploying with pip (which I know people
don't believe actually happens). That's not a valid pip version number
(neither 2015.1.0-3-g1373bfa nor stable-kilo are valid). If someone were
to use this archive with something like

    pip install 'keystone>=2015.1.0' --find-links
https://stable-archive.openstack.org/kilo/

Then they wouldn't find anything new. If the releases are to be
auto-versioned, they should be done in a different way.