[openstack-dev] [fuel] Fuel plugin as docker containers images

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 20:41:10 UTC 2015

I'm still confused are you wanting to add a container to the master node,
or a deployed env?

For the master node, the latest fuel-plugin-builder allows for post-install
scripts, you could load a container image from here
For nodes in a deployed ENV, there is no formal target to support
containers, you would need to install the container manager and containers
yourself.

However I would note that not packaging the applications dependencies
because it's in a container is not a good practice as it quickly becomes
very difficult to work with versioning and updates. It may be acceptable
for a dev build of the plugin, but should be avoided in validated versions
of the plugin. The container its self should also be contained within a
package so that it's versioning can be tracked with operator familiar
tools. Lastly, containers with python are quite large, so if you can get
the versioning to work I'd avoid putting it into a container all together
as you will end up with 150-300mb container mostly just because of python.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM Konstantin Danilov <kdanilov at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Evgene,
>
> I'm sure you understand this, but just to be clear - now FUEL uses
> containers on master node,
> not on cluster nodes. I'm asking about plugin containers on cluster nodes.
>
> Yep, there a particular example - VSM (Intel ceph management tool). It
> requires a set of packages,
> like python2.6, old django, etc, which I would rather not install on
> master node directly.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:
> > Hi Konstantin,
> >
> > I'm not sure if we track such feature anywhere. But one of the reasons
> > to use containers on the master was to deliver plugin specific
> containers,
> > so they don't intersect and don't break Fuel master dependencies.
> > Do you have some specific use case for that?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Konstantin Danilov <
> kdanilov at mirantis.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there a plans to allow plugin to be delivered as docker container
> >> images?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kostiantyn Danilov aka koder.ua