[openstack-dev] [nova] Spec to support Quota per X (flavor, az, flavor_az)

Meghal .B. Gosalia meghalgosalia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 01:21:34 UTC 2015

A lot of us have had use cases where a cloud-admin wanted to set -
1. Quota per flavor
2. Quota per Availability Zone
3. Quota per flavor_az (flavor and availability zone)
4. Quota per X (any random category)

All of these use cases requires an update to the quota module.
Currently, quota module only tracks static resources like core, ram, disk
which are hardcoded in the quota module.
All quota calculations during quota commit is made using static resources.

If we need the ability to set "Quota per X", we need the ability to add a
quota resource dynamically during quota-update.
So, Vliobh Meshram, Josh Harlow and myself have been working on a spec to
support dynamic quota resources in nova,
which will staisfy all 4 use cases above.

Here is the link to the spec - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/206160/
This spec talks about
1. Providing capability to create dynamic quota resource
2. Update metadata for dynamic quota resource
3. Incrementing/Decrementing dynamic quota resource value during instance
creation and deletion.

It would be great if we could get input from dev and operators on the spec.
This is a problem that we have been trying hard at Yahoo to solve and we
would love to get your feedback.

Thanks,
Meghal