[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Kuryr][kolla] - Bringing Dockers networking to Neutron

Mohammad Banikazemi mb at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 23 17:35:29 UTC 2015

I let the creators of the project speak for themselves but here is my take
on project Kuryr.

The goal is not to containerize Neutron or other OpenStack services. The
main objective is to use Neutron as a networking backend option for Docker.
The original proposal was to do so in the context of using containers (for
different Neutron backends or vif types). While the main objective is
fundamental to the project, the latter (use of containers in this
particular way) seems to be a tactical choice we need to make. I see
several different options available to achieve the same goal in this
regard.

Now, there is another aspect of using containers in the context of this
project that is more interesting at least to me (and I do not know if
others share this view or not) and that is the use of containers for
providing network services that are not available through libnetwork as of
now or in near future or ever. From the talks I have had with libnetwork
developers the plan is to stay with the basic networking infrastructure and
leave additional features to be developed by the community and to do so
possibly by using what else,  containers.

So take the current features available in libnetwork. You mainly get
support for connectivity/isolation for multiple networks across multiple
hosts. Now if you want to route between these networks, you have to devise
a solution yourself. One possible solution would be having a router service
in a container that gets connected to say two Docker networks. Whether the
router service is implemented with the use of the current Neutron router
services or by some other solutions is something to look into and discuss
but this is a direction where I think Kuryr (did I spell it right? ;)) can
and should contribute to.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

Best,

Mohammad

From:	"Steven Dake (stdake)" <stdake at cisco.com>
            <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>, Eran Gampel
            <Eran.Gampel at toganetworks.com>, Antoni Segura Puimedon
            <toni at midokura.com>, Irena Berezovsky <irena at midokura.com>,
            "gal.sagie at gmail.com" <gal.sagie at gmail.com>
Date:	07/23/2015 11:34 AM
Subject:	Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron][Kuryr][kolla] - Bringing Dockers
            networking to Neutron

Gal,

I’m not clear exactly what you plan to do with regards to building docker
containers for Neutron, but the Kolla project has developed both
linuxbridge and ovs agents as well as a complete running Neutron system
inside container technology.  We can launch it AIO with docker-compose, or
alternatively it can be launched AIO or multinode with Ansible.  Note we
have a complete OpenStack implementation, not just Neutron.

We would welcome additional driver support using the standard OpenStack
gerrit workflow.

https://github.com/stackforge/kolla/tree/master/docker/centos/binary/neutron

Note we are also in the process of adding build from source to our tree
here:

https://github.com/stackforge/kolla/tree/master/docker/centos/source/neutron

For further background on Kolla, check out our wiki page:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kolla

Best wishes,
-steve