[openstack-dev] [keystone] token revocation woes

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 15:23:59 UTC 2015

On 07/23/2015 10:45 AM, Lance Bragstad wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com
> <mailto:ayoung at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/22/2015 05:39 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>>     On 07/22/2015 03:41 PM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>>>     This is an indicator that the bottleneck is not the db strictly
>>>     speaking, but also related to the way we match. This means we
>>>     need to spend some serious cycles on improving both the stored
>>>     record(s) for revocation events and the matching algorithm.
>>
>>     The simplest approach to revocation checking is to do a linear
>>     search through the events.  I think the old version of the code
>>     that did that is in a code review, and I will pull it out.
>>
>>     If we remove the tree, then the matching will have to run through
>>     each of the records and see if there is a match;  the test will
>>     be linear with the number of records (slightly shorter if a token
>>     is actually revoked).
>
>     This was the origianal, linear search version of the code.
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55908/50/keystone/contrib/revoke/model.py,cm
>

> What initially landed for Revocation Events was the tree-structure,
> right? We didn't land a linear approach prior to that and then switch
> to the tree, did we?

Correct.  The tree version made it into the review stack about revision
60 or so.

It might be useful to think of a hybrid approach.  For example, it makes
no sense to do a linear search for revoke-by-userid, as that will be the
most common revocation, and also the one that will benefit the most from
a speed up.  A binary search would probably make more sense there.
However, it does mean that the events would have to be sorted, which
might be more costly than the search itself, depending on how often it
is performed.

The one way that the events should always be sorted is by the "revoked
before" time, and this value can be found via a binary search.