[openstack-dev] [fuel][puppet] Managing upstream puppet modules in fuel-library under librarian

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Sat Jul 18 03:27:45 UTC 2015

One of the concerns raised by TC in response to the proposal to add Fuel to
OpenStack Projects [0] is the fact that fuel-library includes copies of
upstream Puppet modules, most importantly from OpenStack Puppet [1].

[0] https://review.openstack.org/199232
[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/648331/

I have brought this up in the Fuel weekly meeting [2], and we have agreed to
start implementing the proposal from Alex Schultz to use puppet-librarian to
manage upstream modules [3].

[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/fuel/2015/fuel.2015-07-16-16.00.log.html#l-245
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/067806.html

We are days away from Feature Freeze for Fuel 7.0 scheduled for July 23 [4], so
it's not reasonable to make librarian mandatory for all upstream modules just
yet, but I believe that we should make full migration to librarian a blocker
requirement for Fuel 8.0.

[4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fuel/7.0_Release_Schedule

In the meanwhile, we're going to try to implement integration of the newly
added puppet-ironic module under librarian [5][6][7].

[5] https://review.openstack.org/194184
[6] https://review.openstack.org/202763
[7] https://review.openstack.org/202767

To make sure this effort does not block integration of Ironic support in Fuel
7.0 and does not impact the Feature Freeze, we've set a deadline for this
effort until Tuesday July 21. Fuelers and other Puppet experts, please help
Alex and Pavlo get this done on time by reviewing their changes and offering
advice. It is a small but crucial step towards full convergence with upstream,
it would help a lot if we could confirm now that this approach is viable.

Thank you,

--
Dmitry Borodaenko