[openstack-dev] [magnum] Magnum template manage use platform VS others as a type?

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Thu Jul 16 00:48:02 UTC 2015

On Jul 15, 2015, at 1:39 PM, hongbin.lu at huawei.com<mailto:hongbin.lu at huawei.com> wrote:

+1 for the idea of using Nova flavor directly.

Our initial resistance to using flavor is that you may want the same bay to have a combination of different flavors in it. I suppose this might still be possible by changing the flavor value in the bay, and then scaling it.

Why we introduced the “platform” field to indicate “vm” or “baremetel” is that magnum need to map a bay to a Heat template (which will be used to provision the bay). Currently, Magnum has three layers of mapping:
•         platform: vm or baremetal
•         os: atomic, coreos, …
•         coe: kubernetes, swarm or mesos

I think we could just replace “platform” with “flavor”, if we can populate a list of flovars for VM and another list of flavors for baremetal (We may need an additional list of flavors for container in the future for the nested container use case). Then, the new three layers would be:
•         flavor: baremetal, m1.small, m1.medium,  …

Well, this would need to be a valid flavor name in nova for it to work. You might have several flavors that are all actually “baremetal”, so it would be up to the cloud operator to map all the flavors to the correct instance types. Perhaps it’s possible to determine which nova dirt driver would be used for each of the flavors, and look that up automatically in order to eliminate thinned for maintaining a mapping.

•         os: atomic, coreos, ...
•         coe: kubernetes, swarm or mesos

This approach can avoid introducing a new field in baymodel to indicate what Nova flavor already indicates.

It would also give us the ability to pass in a flavor id as a parameter to our heat templates to allow them to be more easily used with different flavor sizes. IT could send the value from the bay model initially, or from the bay once it exists. It would also be possible to implement a ‘scale bay’ operation that would also take this as a parameter so you could accomplish the equivalent of “add an 8GB node to this bay”, or "add a giant baremetal node to this bay”.

Adrian

Best regards,
Hongbin