[openstack-dev] [Ironic] how about those alternating meeting times?

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:41:55 UTC 2015

This is a much-overdue follow up to this poll, which got 17 responses.

TL;DR:

The poll indicated that most responders did not personally find the 0500
meeting helpful. Reviewing the meeting logs for the last six months shows
significantly lower core attendance in those meetings. Informal feedback
confirms both of these conclusions.

As much as I want to be inclusive of contributors for whom the 1700GMT
Monday meetings do not work, I feel that the 0500GMT Tuesday meetings have
not been effective and would like to propose that we change back to a
single meeting time.

Longer summary:

In that poll, I asked four questions to gauge both individual attendance
and benefit, as well as perceived benefit to others. I think the results
are quite interesting. (Note that every question had a free form choice as
well, which I'm not tallying here)

Were you able to attend the meetings?
+4 Yes, I attended most or all of the metings
-10 No. Because of the timing, I was only able to attend half of the
meetings.

Were the alternating times helpful to you personally?
+5 Yes. I attended both Monday and Tuesday meetings and found this split
helpful.
-10 No. I was unable to attend half of the meetings and found some or all
of them to be non-productive.

Do you believe that alternating meeting times was helpful to the project
overall, regardless of your own availability?
+11 Yes
- 4 No

Do you think we should continue to split meeting times?
+10 Yes
-3 No

In the freeform responses, I got suggestions to split out subteams (we've
done this for the neutron integration work), as well as a few comments that
DST impact was significant and preventing attendance to half the meetings,
and suggestions to move the meeting a few hours this way or that way.

Lately, I have missed several of the 0500GMT meetings due to tiredness,
travel, or other things. I notice that very few of the core team are there,
too (many thanks to Jim for consistently being there and leading it when
I'm not). While I think it is important to have a meeting time that serves
Haomeng and Ramki and Michael Davies (and everyone else in APAC), these
meetings do not consistently have a majority of cores present and therefor
can't reasonably make any decisions. And on the flip side, these impact the
1700GMT meetings in that those have lost a lot of momentum, seemingly
because the US/EU regulars miss every other week.

So, though it saddens me, I would like to propose that we change back to a
single meeting time effective the week following our midcycle (Aug 10th).
That will give folks two meetings in each timeslot between now and then to
become aware of, and raise any issues with, this change.

Regards,
Devananda