[openstack-dev] [testing] moving testrepository *outside* the tox venv

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Sat Jul 11 00:01:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 06:59:44AM -0700, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
> Or a database per python major version (or at least gracefully handle the incompatibility).
>
> --Morgan
>
> Sent via mobile
>
> > On Jul 9, 2015, at 06:43, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2015-07-09 10:37:17 +1200:
> >> I don't remember if this has previously been discussed, but as our
> >> Python3 readiness increases folk are going to feel pain from testr due
> >> to a silly Python 2/3 incompatibility around dbm files.
> >>
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/testrepository/+bug/1212909
> >>
> >> OpenStack (alone in the universe as far as I can tell) installs
> >> testrepository *inside* a tox venv. This then causes the timing
> >> database to be Python version specific. It also causes the test venv
> >> to suck in any dependencies testr might add.
> >>
> >> But testrepository is like tox- its meant to be installed systemwide
> >> (or at least in its own venv) and then just used to *run* test runners
> >> within whatever context.
> >>
> >> So - I'm looking to:
> >>
> >> A) have a discussion and identify any issues with moving testr out of
> >> the venvs. (Note: this doesn't mean stop using it, just removing it
> >> from test-requirements.txt, in the same way that tox isn't in
> >> test-requirements.txt).
> >> B) Capture that in a spec if its non-trivial.
> >> C) find volunteers to make it happen.
> >
> > How much work would it be to make testrepository use a database format
> > that would be the same under all versions of python?
> >
> > Doug

My long term plan (for almost a year now :( ) to do this was to add a new
repository type for testrepository that leverages subunit2sql. We could then
just use a local sqlite database to track the results which would avoid the
dbm compat issues and also expose a much more feature rich interface to use
the stored data.

The current blocker for this right now is sqlite support in subunit2sql. [1]
Some of the alembic migrations do not work on sqlite, and I haven't really had
a chance to work on fixing this. If someone was willing to help me on this that
would make this move a lot faster.

-Matt Treinish

[1] We could start work on adding the new repository type now, but to use it
would would require a mysql or postgres db which is too heavyweight to be really
useful for most use cases