[openstack-dev] [Neutron] New Neutron subproject for a Neutron backed Docker remote networking driver

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 14:54:29 UTC 2015

On 07/09/2015 04:55 AM, Antoni Segura Puimedon wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> As the subject says, we are starting a new Neutron subproject that
> aims to service the Docker Container Network Model[1]  by leveraging
> Neutron in a way similar to how Nova does.
>
> So far, while we set up a subproject, we have a repo[2] where you can
> see a bit more explanation about what the goals are. The idea is that
> we'd have different Docker plumbing (connecting the Docker instances
> into the overlay) images for different l2 agents.For example, we'd
> have
>
>     neutron/project_name:ovs
> and
>     neutron/project_name:midonet
>
> When you'd start one of those docker images (there'll be shell scripts
> for starting them with what they require and also probably a sample
> systemd service), it will register with docker and create Neutron
> networks and port types with the image flavor (ovs|midonet in the
> example above).
>
> So far the project is nameless. I'd like to have some proposed names
> so that we can vote and create the subproject.
>

> Names:
> Kuryr - Czech name for Courier since it is delivering networking to
> containers. v: apuimedo+1
>

> [1] https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/experimental/networking.md
> [2] https://github.com/celebdor/neutron-docker-plugin

On a related note, there has been some work to integrate OVN with docker
networking.  This integration uses Neutron to handle IPAM.

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-June/056669.html
https://github.com/shettyg/ovn-docker

So, there's probably some collaboration opportunity here.  Most of it
seems like it would be the same, except maybe some minor differences in
getting the containers plugged into the network.

--
Russell Bryant