[openstack-dev] [Neutron] New Neutron subproject for a Neutron backed Docker remote networking driver

Antoni Segura Puimedon toni+openstackml at midokura.com
Thu Jul 9 08:55:24 UTC 2015

Hi list,

As the subject says, we are starting a new Neutron subproject that
aims to service the Docker Container Network Model[1]  by leveraging
Neutron in a way similar to how Nova does.

So far, while we set up a subproject, we have a repo[2] where you can
see a bit more explanation about what the goals are. The idea is that
we'd have different Docker plumbing (connecting the Docker instances
into the overlay) images for different l2 agents.For example, we'd
have

    neutron/project_name:ovs
and
    neutron/project_name:midonet

When you'd start one of those docker images (there'll be shell scripts
for starting them with what they require and also probably a sample
systemd service), it will register with docker and create Neutron
networks and port types with the image flavor (ovs|midonet in the
example above).

So far the project is nameless. I'd like to have some proposed names
so that we can vote and create the subproject.

Names:
Kuryr - Czech name for Courier since it is delivering networking to
containers. v: apuimedo+1

[1] https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/experimental/networking.md
[2] https://github.com/celebdor/neutron-docker-plugin