[openstack-dev] OpenStack Meiji (明治) - Our next release name has been selected

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jul 8 08:43:32 UTC 2015

Long Quan Sha wrote:
> I have the same concern as a Chinese, Emperor Meiji will be linked to a
> war happened in 1895, also invasion of Taiwan. That is so bad historical
> memory for Chinese. Refer to :
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Sino-Japanese_War
>
> I recommend selecting another candidate.

I agree that this is unfortunate naming and that we should consider
picking another name.

I just wonder why nobody raised issues with the name while it was on the
proposed names wiki page, while it was on the ballot, or while it was
under final consideration. We've known that "Meiji" was an option for
one month, and that it was #3 in the candidate names for more than 2
weeks. And yet nobody ever raised any issue with it until it was
officially chosen and announced, at which point it's a lot more
difficult to change.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)