[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc] Plans for using Pre-2.0 Ansible modules

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jul 7 21:13:39 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2015-07-07 14:05:23 -0700:
> On 4 July 2015 at 06:53, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:
> > Kolla Devs as well as the Technical Committee,
> >
> > I wanted to get the TC’s thoughts on this plan of action as we intend to
> > apply for big tent once our Ansible code has completed implementation.  If
> > the approach outlined in this email seems like a blocker and we should just
> > start with #4 instead, it would be immensely helpful to know now.
> >
> > The problem:
> > A whole slew of OpenStack modules exist upstream in the Ansible core
> > directory.  Kolla wants to use these modules.  These files are licensed
> > under the GPLv3.  They will be released with Ansible 2.0 but Ansible 2.0 is
> > not yet available.  In the meantime we need these modules to execute our
> > system.  The repo in question is:
>
> As I understand our current license situation, you won't be eligible
> for big-tent if you depend on GPLv3 code.
>
> From the requirements "    * Project must have no library dependencies
> which effectively restrict
>       how the project may be distributed or deployed
> "
>
> So I'm also strongly inclined to recommend you speak to the legal list
> about the implications here. Using a GPLv3 tool via the CLI is very
> different (by the GPL's design) to using it as a library.

Ansible modules are a bit.. special.

They're executed directly via the python interpreter after having some
glue code from Ansible itself copied in. So they're really just CLI
scripts.

That said, you still have to tell the users to use Ansible and the tool,
so that would effectively inhibit the way the project may be distributed.

Agree this is probably more for the legal list. :)