[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc] Plans for using Pre-2.0 Ansible modules

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Jul 7 21:05:23 UTC 2015

On 4 July 2015 at 06:53, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:
> Kolla Devs as well as the Technical Committee,
>
> I wanted to get the TC’s thoughts on this plan of action as we intend to
> apply for big tent once our Ansible code has completed implementation.  If
> the approach outlined in this email seems like a blocker and we should just
> start with #4 instead, it would be immensely helpful to know now.
>
> The problem:
> A whole slew of OpenStack modules exist upstream in the Ansible core
> directory.  Kolla wants to use these modules.  These files are licensed
> under the GPLv3.  They will be released with Ansible 2.0 but Ansible 2.0 is
> not yet available.  In the meantime we need these modules to execute our
> system.  The repo in question is:

As I understand our current license situation, you won't be eligible
for big-tent if you depend on GPLv3 code.

>From the requirements "    * Project must have no library dependencies
which effectively restrict
      how the project may be distributed or deployed
"

So I'm also strongly inclined to recommend you speak to the legal list
about the implications here. Using a GPLv3 tool via the CLI is very
different (by the GPL's design) to using it as a library.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist