[openstack-dev] [grenade] future direction on partial upgrade support

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Mon Jul 6 23:58:13 UTC 2015

I'd also like to chime in - we've had some discussions on -infra today
about the partial upgrade issue, and collected the following notes on an
etherpad.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/neutron-partial-upgrades

One of the things identified, was the complexity of the DVR feature in
Neutron, and an attempt to simplify the partial upgrade job by not
enabling the DVR feature.

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/networking/2015/networking.2015-07-06-21.00.log.html

Clark Boylan has proposed a patch to create a new job that runs on
multiple nodes, but does not have DVR enabled, in the hopes that having
less moving parts will allow the multinode grenade work to continue on a
parallel track, with bugfixes or additional work on the Neutron DVR
feature not blocking the overall effort. The idea would be eventually to
enable DVR, once we have taken care of all the other work that needs to
be done.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/198906/

What is everyone's thoughts?

--