[openstack-dev] [Murano][Congress] Application placement use case

Tim Hinrichs tim at styra.com
Mon Jul 6 15:58:55 UTC 2015

Hi Gosha,

This definitely sounds like an interesting use case for Congress.  Keep in
mind that Congress doesn't itself do placement (though we did some
experimentation with that [1][2]).  Some thoughts.

1. Let's suppose Murano/Congress/etc. allow us to figure out which app
should be deployed in which region.  Is there a separate Nova for each
region that can do the actual scheduling?  If not, how would Murano force
the app to be deployed in the proper region?

2. Let's assume Murano can force the app to the proper region.  One option
for using Congress to compute the proper region would be to write policy
statements that enumerate the permitted regions for a given application,
and then ask Congress for one of those regions.  For your statements above,
we could write the following policy statements

Solaris is required then select Region_Solaris. Or more complex If Solaris
is required then select less loaded regions from [Region_Solaris1,
Region_Solaris2]

permitted_region(app, region) :-
murano:app_requires(app, "solaris"),

[1] Design doc: