[openstack-dev] [Neutron] - breaking changes for plugins/drivers

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:49:59 UTC 2015

>For the second one, I think we made it clear before that no plugins must
rely on neutron.openstack.* contents.

Where was this made clear? I didn't know about this until it broke and I'm
a very frequent contributor and reviewer, which is the core of my
complaint. The updated wiki is helpful, but doing it after-the-fact only
helps when people try to figure out why they can't make changes to their
repos.

In that patch there were 3 in-tree third party plugins that had to be
updated. That should have given a hint that it was likely to break other
plugins as well. The other annoying lesson from that is that
plugins/drivers still in tree are getting better treatment than the ones
that went through the split process.

We need to be much more diligent about announcing these things ahead of
time or we need to be clear that Neutron is completely unstable as a
framework and third party drivers should basically never import anything
from the neutron namespace.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com>
wrote:

Kevin Benton