[openstack-dev] [barbican] python-barbicanclient 3.0.2 released

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 23:00:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Douglas Mendizabal <
douglas.mendizabal at rackspace.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 01:31 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>
> So, honestly, yes.
>
> For a library to release safely it must:
>
> * have stable-compat jobs running (this was the issue with barbican client)
> * if it has a stable/juno branch it must be pinned in stable/juno (this
> was the issue on most of the oslo libs)
>

> [snip]
>
> Thanks to both of you for working on this!
>
> Doug
>

> [snip]
>
> +1  I definitely appreciate all the help sorting this out.  I think it’s
> good that we’ll have a stable-compat job in our gate now, but it’s still
> not clear to me how this would have prevented the problem?   Sure, we could
> have noticed that the global-requirements-sync CR was a breaking change in
> cinder/juno, but by that point the offending oslo library was already in
> global-requirements.
>
> I’m still not sure what the barbican team needs to do going forward.  It
> seems that pinning an oslo lib pretty much forces every client using it to
> fork a stable branch?  If so, should we plan on supporting a stable/juno
> branch in python-barbicanclient which forks at 3.0.1 (the last juno
> compatible release?) and then back port fixes as 3.0.1.x?

Going froward, we will pin the use of all uncapped libraries (including
python clients) and not require dependency comparability with stable
branches. This means if any bug or security fix is needed, you will need to
backport it to a compatible cient version (done via a version range, or a
compatible release:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#compatible-release). So to answer
your question, you may need to back port fixes to 3.0.1.x.