[openstack-dev] [barbican] python-barbicanclient 3.0.2 released

Douglas Mendizabal douglas.mendizabal at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Jan 29 22:22:52 UTC 2015

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 01:31 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>>
>>> So, honestly, yes.
>>>
>>> For a library to release safely it must:
>>>
>>> * have stable-compat jobs running (this was the issue with barbican client)
>>> * if it has a stable/juno branch it must be pinned in stable/juno (this
>>> was the issue on most of the oslo libs)

[snip]

> Thanks to both of you for working on this!
>
> Doug

[snip]

+1  I definitely appreciate all the help sorting this out.  I think it’s good that we’ll have a stable-compat job in our gate now, but it’s still not clear to me how this would have prevented the problem?   Sure, we could have noticed that the global-requirements-sync CR was a breaking change in cinder/juno, but by that point the offending oslo library was already in global-requirements.

I’m still not sure what the barbican team needs to do going forward.  It seems that pinning an oslo lib pretty much forces every client using it to fork a stable branch?  If so, should we plan on supporting a stable/juno branch in python-barbicanclient which forks at 3.0.1 (the last juno compatible release?) and then back port fixes as 3.0.1.x?

Thanks,
-Doug Mendizabal

Douglas Mendizábal
IRC: redrobot
PGP Key: 245C 7B6F 70E9 D8F3 F5D5  0CC9 AD14 1F30 2D58 923C