[openstack-dev] [api] API Definition Formats

Max Lincoln lincoln.max at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:56:27 UTC 2015

tl;dr: I wanted to be able to see what OpenStack APIs might look like in
Swagger and starting experimenting with Swagger in projects for things like
stubbing services, API test coverage, and code generation. In order to do
that I created wadl2swagger [1]. I've published copies [2] of what the
converted documents look like. If you follow the "Open on Swagger-Editor"
links at http://rackerlabs.github.io/wadl2swagger/openstack.html you can
open the Swagger-equivalent of any WADL file and see both the source and a
preview of what Swagger-generated documentation would look like.

I definitely agree that moving to a better API definition would be very
beneficial. Technically WADL *is* an API definition format, it's just not
one that's very usable or that has an active community (with the exception
of documentation, and even that is probably mostly only OpenStack). I think
it's partly because WADL was created during a transitional period -
services were tending towards REST but not yet towards JSON - but I think
that Apigee summed it up nicely when they created the Swagger Editor [3].

> WSDL and WADL failed to cross languages and therefore developer
communities, but Swagger has thrived, with community contributions easily
outnumbering those from the team at Reverb.

Check out the list of related projects for Swagger [4] to verify that for
yourself. Not only are there *actively developed* projects in many
different programming languages, the projects also target a wide range of
problems, from extracting documentation from code to testing or code
generation. I think that's especially true of Swagger, though you could say
the same thing about RAML. However, the Swagger/RAML gap is much smaller
than the WADL/Swagger gap, and there's already a swagger2raml project
underway, so converting data from WADL to Swagger seems like a good move
even if RAML is still being considered.

So since WADL is an API definition format, there were three possible ways
to try to get a Swagger copy of the OpenStack APIs:
- Convert WADL to Swagger
- Extract Swagger from the OpenStack code or tests
- Write Swagger by hand

I focused on the first approach, merging in a little bit of hand-written
Swagger from the third approach to cover data that I wanted in Swagger but
that isn't available in the WADL. The second approach may also be worth
pursuing, especially if the data we can get from WADL and the data we can
get from code/tests are complimentary. The WADL is good at converting the
routing, parameters, request/response examples, general documentation and
expected response codes, but it isn't easy to get request/response body
schemas.

I hope this project can help in one of two ways:
- A preview of what OpenStack Swagger would look like to start discussions
about best practices or APIs that are difficult to model in Swagger.
- As an actually tool to enable a WADL->Swagger transition or to compare to
Swagger from other sources to ensure the documentation/implementation are
in sync.

If you just take these documents as a draft than there's no need to look at
the code, but if you want to use and improve the tool then I need some help
maintaining the project. It probably makes sense to clean up the project
before doing any more enhancements, because it started as a spike and is my
first non-trivial Python project, so the code is undoubtedly sloppy.
However it's fairly small (543 lines of Python) so cleaning it up probably
isn't a huge undertaking. Please let me know or check out the issues on
GitHub [5] if you're interested in helping clean with the project.

[1]: https://github.com/rackerlabs/wadl2swagger
[2]: http://rackerlabs.github.io/wadl2swagger/openstack.html
[3]:
https://blog.apigee.com/detail/a_design_first_approach_to_building_apis_with_swagger