[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Object statuses

Samuel Bercovici SamuelB at Radware.com
Mon Jan 26 10:46:18 UTC 2015

+1
I also prefer option 2 in general with slight inclination to 2-B

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon Logan [mailto:brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 9:21 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Object statuses

So I am resurrecting this topic now because we put this discussion on a a brief hold, but are now discussing it again and need to decide asap. We've all agreed we need a provisioning_status and operating_status fields. We now need to decide where to show these statuses to the user.

Option 1:
Show the statuses directly on the entity.

Option 2-A:
Show a status tree only on the load balancer object, but not on any entities.

Option 2-B:
Expose a resource for a GET request that will return that status tree.

Example:
GET /lbaas/loadbalancers/{LB_UUID}/statuses

Option 1 is probably what most people are used to but it doesn't allow for sharing of objects, and when/if sharing is enabled, it will cause a break in contract and a new version of the API.  So it would essentially disallow object sharing.  This requires a lot less work to implement.

Option 2-* can be done with or without sharing, and when/if object sharing is enabled it wont break contract.  This will require more work to implement.

My personal opinion is in favor of Option 2-B, but wouldn't argue with 2-A either.

Thanks,
Brandon