[openstack-dev] [Glance] IRC logging

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 08:16:33 UTC 2015

On 09/01/15 12:11 -0800, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>So the only comment I'll put in is one that I know not everyone agrees
>with but might as well throw it out there.
>
>http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml (this page has a bunch of
>useful advice IMHO).
>
>From that; something useful to look/think over at least...
>
>"""
>If you're considering publishing channel logs, think it through. The
>freenode network is an interactive environment. Even on public
>channels, most users don't weigh their comments with the idea that
>they'll be enshrined in perpetuity. For that reason, few participants
>publish logs.
>
>If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel topic
>should reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to make
>comments without logging, and get permission from the channel owners
>before you start. If you're thinking of "anonymizing" your logs
>(removing information that identifies the specific users), be aware
>that it's difficult to do it well—replies and general context often
>provide identifying information which is hard to filter.
>
>If you just want to publish a single conversation, be careful to get
>permission from each participant. Provide as much context as you can.
>Avoid the temptation to publish or distribute logs without permission
>in order to portray someone in a bad light. The reputation you save
>will most likely be your own.
>"""

(Joshua, the below is not about what you posted, I really appreciate
you bringing the above into the discussion)

FWIW, I kind of feel that channel logging should become an OpenStack
thing and not a per-project thing. Log all openstack "official"
channels, make it clear in the
wiki/homepage/HoToContribute/WhateverYouWannaCallIt and move on.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, prevents the above from happening right
now. I've local (as in my ZNC server) logs of the last 1y 1/2 and I
could just make them public.

Really, IRC is basically(?) public by default and I - I know this is
probably personal opinion - don't think there's a difference between a
logged channel and a not logged one. If we wanted to make the channel
private, we should password protect it and invite few people, make
them sign a contract where they swear they won't publish logs and
whatnot.

Anyway, I think a good way to avoid these discussions for future
projects is to simply enable logging on all openstack- channels.

Cheers,
Flavio