[openstack-dev] [Glance] IRC logging

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Fri Jan 9 20:11:08 UTC 2015

So the only comment I'll put in is one that I know not everyone agrees
with but might as well throw it out there.

http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml (this page has a bunch of
useful advice IMHO).

 From that; something useful to look/think over at least...

"""
If you're considering publishing channel logs, think it through. The
freenode network is an interactive environment. Even on public channels,
most users don't weigh their comments with the idea that they'll be
enshrined in perpetuity. For that reason, few participants publish logs.

If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel topic should
reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to make comments
without logging, and get permission from the channel owners before you
start. If you're thinking of "anonymizing" your logs (removing
information that identifies the specific users), be aware that it's
difficult to do it well—replies and general context often provide
identifying information which is hard to filter.

If you just want to publish a single conversation, be careful to get
permission from each participant. Provide as much context as you can.
Avoid the temptation to publish or distribute logs without permission in
order to portray someone in a bad light. The reputation you save will
most likely be your own.
"""