[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron]VIF_VHOSTUSER

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Sat Jan 10 01:15:01 UTC 2015

Once more, I'd like to revisit the VIF_VHOSTUSER discussion [1].  I still
think this is worth getting into Nova's libvirt driver - specifically
because there's actually no way to distribute this as an extension; since
we removed the plugin mechanism for VIF drivers, it absolutely requires a
code change in the libvirt driver.  This means that there's no graceful way
of distributing an aftermarket VHOSTUSER driver for libvirt.

The standing counterargument to adding it is that nothing in the upstream
or 3rd party CI would currently test the VIF_VHOSTUSER code.  I'm not sure
that's a showstopper, given the code is zero risk to anyone when it's not
being used, and clearly is going to be experimental when it's enabled.  So,
Nova cores, would it be possible to incorporate this without a
corresponding driver in base Neutron?

Cheers,
--
Ian.