[openstack-dev] [Heat] Precursor to Phase 1 Convergence

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 17:59:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 09:53:02PM +0530, vishnu wrote:
>    Hi Zane,
>    I was wondering if we could push changes relating to backup stack removal
>    and to not load resources as part of stack. There needs to be a capability
>    to restart jobs left over by dead engines.A
>    something like heat stack-operation --continue [git rebase --continue]

To me, it's pointless if the user has to restart the operation, they can do
that already, e.g by triggering a stack update after a failed stack create.

The process needs to be automatic IMO, if one engine dies, another engine
should detect that it needs to steal the lock or whatever and continue
whatever was in-progress.

>    Had a chat with shady regarding this. IMO this would be a valuable
>    enhancement. Notification based lead sharing can be taken up upon
>    completion.

I was referring to a capability for the service to transparently recover
if, for example, a heat-engine is restarted during a service upgrade.

Currently, users will be impacted in this situation, and making them
manually restart failed operations doesn't seem like a super-great solution
to me (like I said, they can already do that to some extent)

Steve