[openstack-dev] [heat][tripleo] Making diskimage-builder install from forked repo?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Jan 8 17:58:40 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Steven Hardy's message of 2015-01-08 09:37:55 -0800:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to test a fedora-software-config image with some updated
> components.  I need:
>
> - Install latest master os-apply-config (the commit I want isn't released)
> - Install os-refresh-config fork from https://review.openstack.org/#/c/145764
>
> I can't even get the o-a-c from master part working:
>
> export PATH="${PWD}/dib-utils/bin:$PATH"
> export
> ELEMENTS_PATH=tripleo-image-elements/elements:heat-templates/hot/software-config/elements
> export DIB_INSTALLTYPE_os_apply_config=source
>
> diskimage-builder/bin/disk-image-create vm fedora selinux-permissive \
>   os-collect-config os-refresh-config os-apply-config \
>   heat-config-ansible \
>   heat-config-cfn-init \
>   heat-config-docker \
>   heat-config-puppet \
>   heat-config-salt \
>   heat-config-script \
>   ntp \
>   -o fedora-software-config.qcow2
>
> This is what I'm doing, both tools end up as pip installed versions AFAICS,
> so I've had to resort to manually hacking the image post-DiB using
> virt-copy-in.
>
> Pretty sure there's a way to make DiB do this, but don't know what, anyone
> able to share some clues?  Do I have to hack the elements, or is there a
> better way?
>
> The docs are pretty sparse, so any help would be much appreciated! :)

Hi Steve. The os-*-config tools represent a bit of a quandry for us,
as we want to test and run with released versions, not latest git, so
the elements just install from pypi. I believe we use devpi in testing
to test new commits to the tools themselves.

So you can probably setup a devpi instance locally, and upload the
commits you want to it, and then build the image with the 'pypi' element
added and this:

PYPI_MIRROR_URL=http://localhost:3141/

See diskimage-builder/elements/pypi/README.md for more info on how to
set this up.