[openstack-dev] [neutron][AdvancedServices] Confusion about the solution of the service chaining!

Sumit Naiksatam sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:44:58 UTC 2015

Hi Alan,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 4:25 AM,  <lv.erchun at zte.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to confirm that how is the project about "Neutron Services Insertion,
> Chaining, and Steering" going, I found that all the code implementation
> about service insertion、service chaining and traffic steering list in
> JunoPlan were Abandoned .
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/AdvancedServices/JunoPlan
>
> and I also found that we have a new project about GBP and
> group-based-policy-service-chaining be located at:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/group-based-policy/+spec/group-based-policy-abstraction
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/group-based-policy/+spec/group-based-policy-service-chaining
>
> so I'm confused with solution of the service chaining.

Yes, the above two blueprints have been implemented and are available
for consumption today as a part of the Group-based Policy codebase and
release. The GBP model uses a policy trigger to drive the service
composition and can accommodate different rendering policies like
realization using NFV SFC.

> We are developing the service chaining feature, so we need to know which one
> is the neutron's choice.

It would be great if you can provide feedback on the current
implementation, and perhaps participate and contribute as well.

> Are the blueprints about the service insertion,
> service chaining and traffic steering list in JunoPlan all Abandoned ?

Some aspects of this are perhaps a good fit in Neutron and others are
not. We are looking forward to continuing the discussion on this topic
on the areas which are potentially a good fit for Neutron (we have had
this discussion before as well).