[openstack-dev] [neutron][AdvancedServices][telco] Confusion about the solution of the service chaining!

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 21:04:01 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kyle Mestery" <mestery at mestery.com>
>
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 6:25 AM, <lv.erchun at zte.com.cn> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to confirm that how is the project about "Neutron Services
> > Insertion, Chaining, and Steering" going, I found that all the code
> > implementation about service insertion、service chaining and traffic
> > steering list in JunoPlan were Abandoned .
> >
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/AdvancedServices/JunoPlan
> >
> > and I also found that we have a new project about GBP and
> > group-based-policy-service-chaining be located at:
> >

> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/group-based-policy/+spec/group-based-policy-abstraction
> >

> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/group-based-policy/+spec/group-based-policy-service-chaining
> >
> > so I'm confused with solution of the service chaining.
> >
> > We are developing the service chaining feature, so we need to know which
> > one is the neutron's choice. Are the blueprints about the service
> > insertion, service chaining and traffic steering list in JunoPlan all
> > Abandoned ?
> >
> > Service chaining isn't in the plan for Kilo [1], but I expect it to be
> something we talk about in Vancouver for the Lxxx release. The NFV/Telco
> group has been talking about this as well. I'm hopeful we can combine
> efforts and come up with a coherent service chaining solution that solves a
> handful of useful use cases during Lxxx.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle
>
> [1]
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/priorities/kilo-priorities.html

In the hope of 'crossing the streams' on this the discussion in the context of the telco working group resulted in this etherpad:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kKIqu2ipN6

This was also raised on the list here: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-January/053841.html

Thanks,

Steve