[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Tue Jan 6 09:00:12 UTC 2015

On 06/01/15 01:39, Tripp, Travis S wrote:
> What Radomir proposes looks like it would greatly ease the process I am still going through to get the latest angular available to Horizon for current development.  At the time of writing this, I’m still trying to get the updated library through.  I hit a rather difficult workflow:
>

>   1.  Packaged the latest into Xstatic-Angular-1.3.7
>   2.  Submitted patch which deprecated the separate older xstatic-angular-cookies and xstatic-angular-mock packages
>   3.  Reviewed and approved (after correcting an initial mis-repackaging)
>   4.  Radomir released to Pypi
>
> This was pretty easy and not too hard. Not too much to complain about.
>
> However, now, to get Horizon to use it, I have to get that into global requirements.  Since I’m deprecating old packages I got stuck in a sort of ugly dependency path.  I couldn’t remove the cookies and mock libraries from the global requirements patch that added the new 1.3.7 package because of horizon still referencing the deprecated packages.  And, when I did it anyway, the integration tests failed due to horizon being dependent on something not in global requirements.  So, now, as far as I can tell we have to jump through the following hoops:
>

>   1.  Global requirements patch to add angular 1.3.7
>      *   Verify check / recheck fun
>      *   Reviewed and approved
>      *   Gate check / recheck fun
>   2.  Horizon patch to update to angular 1.3.7 and remove deprecated mock and cookies packages
>      *   Verify check / recheck fun
>      *   Reviewed and approved
>      *   Gate check / recheck fun
>   3.  Global requirements patch to remove deprecated mock and cookies
>      *   Verify check / recheck fun
>      *   Reviewed and approved
>      *   Gate check / recheck fun
>
> Don’t get me wrong, I really do think the gate is brilliant and am all for a review / approval process, but this does seem excessive for a UI library that should only be used by Horizon. Is there some other reason that this should have to go through global requirements?

You can do it much easier, since the current version of Angular already
packages what is in the deprecated modules. So just:

1. Patch Horizon to remove the xstatic dependencies to the mock and
cookies packages.
2. Patch global-requirements to remove them, and add newer Angular.
3. Patch Horizon to use the newer Angular.

--
Radomir Dopieralski