[openstack-dev] [neutron][qa] need some eyes on new(ish) gate bug 1407190

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 10:03:30 UTC 2015

Good catch. This was a result of the "Don't unnecessarily loop through all
ports/interfaces" patch.[1]

Passing a list of names to "ovs-vsctl list Interface" with an element that
doesn't match an existing port causes an error.[2] This happens when a port
is deleted right after the list of interface names is gathered but before
the "list Interface" command is run. I think the resulting runtime errors
were interfering with the correct operation of the agent.

There is a fix up[3] that adds the '--if-exists' flag that should restore
the previous behavior of not requiring the requested names to exist.
Hopefully that should clear up the issue.

1.
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/3f0bf6cfac2e151d5a4a7f076062b3365bdbf457
2.
http://logs.openstack.org/12/142412/3/gate/gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-full/9990c84/logs/screen-q-agt.txt.gz#_2015-01-02_15_42_40_999
3. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/144872/

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1407190
>
> Looks like this started on 12/29.  I checked the neutron commits around
> that time and there are some related to ports/interfaces and openvswitch
> but I'm not sure that they contributing to this issue.
>
> I've put a bunch of notes and log links in the bug report, basically there
> is a race in a tempest test where it creates a server and adds two ports to
> it (so a total of three), it waits for each port to be ACTIVE before
> continuing, and then does a show port call by port ID and server ID and
> expects the port to be the same as what it originally created. When this
> fails, the expected port_status is 'ACTIVE' but the actual port_status is
> 'BUILD'.
>
> I've found in the logs where nova/neutron are seeing the port going to
> 'BUILD' state but I don't know enough about the neutron code to tell what
> actually triggers this change, the only place I see 'BUILD' used is in the
> nova event notifier code in neutron which is related to the vif plug/unplug
> callback on nova server boot.
>
> This isn't the top gate bug, but it's got a significant number of hits and
> seems like something that we should be able to reasonably get a quick
> handle on given I think we know when it started (12/29 according to
> logstash, I caught it before the 10 day index in logstash passed).
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Riedemann

Kevin Benton