[openstack-dev] [neutron][qa] need some eyes on new(ish) gate bug 1407190

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Jan 4 00:14:13 UTC 2015

https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1407190

Looks like this started on 12/29.  I checked the neutron commits around
that time and there are some related to ports/interfaces and openvswitch
but I'm not sure that they contributing to this issue.

I've put a bunch of notes and log links in the bug report, basically
there is a race in a tempest test where it creates a server and adds two
ports to it (so a total of three), it waits for each port to be ACTIVE
before continuing, and then does a show port call by port ID and server
ID and expects the port to be the same as what it originally created.
When this fails, the expected port_status is 'ACTIVE' but the actual
port_status is 'BUILD'.

I've found in the logs where nova/neutron are seeing the port going to
'BUILD' state but I don't know enough about the neutron code to tell
what actually triggers this change, the only place I see 'BUILD' used is
in the nova event notifier code in neutron which is related to the vif
plug/unplug callback on nova server boot.

This isn't the top gate bug, but it's got a significant number of hits
and seems like something that we should be able to reasonably get a
quick handle on given I think we know when it started (12/29 according
to logstash, I caught it before the 10 day index in logstash passed).

Matt Riedemann