[openstack-dev] [stable][all] Revisiting the 6 month release cycle

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Feb 25 21:15:33 UTC 2015

On 2/25/15, 14:41, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 25, 2015, at 12:35 PM, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>> > On 2015-02-24 10:00:51 -0800 (-0800), Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > That's awesome, assuming what you mean here is that you've spent
>> > more time reviewing submitted code than writing more. That's where
>> > we're all falling down as a project and should be doing better, so I
>> > applaud your efforts in this area.
>>
>> I think I understand what you're trying to do here, but to be clear, are
>> you saying that I only have myself to blame for how long it takes to
>> get code merged nowadays?
>
>I read that as a reminder that we are all collaborators, and that
>working together is more effective and less frustrating than not working
>together. So while you wait, look at some other contributions and
>provide feedback. Others will do the same for your patches. Reviewed
>patches improve and land faster. We all win.
>
>Doug

I read it the same was as Doug. I don’t think Jeremy was trying to imply
your reviews would move through more quickly if you reviewed other
people’s work. Just that, as with most open source projects, there’s
always at least 2 distinct groups: people who push code more often and
people who review code more often. I think Jeremy took your comments to
mean that you were reviewing code more often than you were pushing it and
was thanking you for helping review outstanding changes. Reviews in
general are hard to come by on some projects, really good reviews even
harder. All reviews help make the project better.

Cheers,
Ian