[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Bug statuses definition in Fuel

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Wed Feb 25 02:59:11 UTC 2015

Mike,

I introduced the Fuel specific bug priority descriptions in June 2014
[0], which may be why you were having trouble finding it in the recent
changes.

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Fuel%2FHow_to_contribute&diff=56952&oldid=56951

I think you're using a weird definition of the word "deploy": the way
I understand it, if your deployment has finished but the software you
deployed doesn't work, it means the deployment has failed. Since
Horizon is the primary means for most users to operate OpenStack,
unusable dashboard means unusable OpenStack means means deployment has
failed means the bug is Critical.

Still, your confusion proves the point that it's not obvious that
these criteria are offered *in addition* to the OpenStack criteria,
meant only to cover the cases where OpenStack criteria are too generic
or not applicable. I've rephrased the description of that list to make
it more obvious.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Mike Scherbakov
<mscherbakov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
> thanks for extending info on what is different in Fuel for Confirmed & Fix
> Released statuses [1]
>
> It is pretty hard to go in history of the page now, but I think I like
> original OpenStack Imporance description in [2], than Fuel-specific [3]:
>>
>> - Critical = can't deploy anything and there's no trivial workaround; data
>> loss; or security vulnerability
>>
>> - High = specific hardware, configurations, or components are unusable and
>> there's no workaround; or everything is broken but there's a workaround
>
> So, "can't deploy anything" is Critical. If you can deploy cloud, but it
> doesn't work afterwards - is not Critical anymore with current description.
> I do not think that it is just High that you can't open Horizon page after
> deployment.
>
> Why don't we stick to the original OpenStack criteria?
>>
>> - Critical if the bug prevents a key feature from working properly
>> (regression) for all users (or without a simple workaround) or result in
>> data loss
>> - High if the bug prevents a key feature from working properly for some
>> users (or with a workaround)
>

> [1]
> https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Fuel%2FHow_to_contribute&diff=73079&oldid=72329
> [2]
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugTriage#Task_2:_Prioritize_confirmed_bugs_.28bug_supervisors.29
> [3]
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fuel/How_to_contribute#Confirm_and_triage_bugs
>
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Dmitry Mescheryakov
> <dmescheryakov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I was looking for a page where bug statuses in out LP projects are
>> described and found none. Mike suggested to add this to How To Contribute
>> page and so I did. Please take a look at the section [1], just to make sure
>> that we are on the same page. The status descriptions are located in the
>> second from the top list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dmitry
>>
>> [1]