[openstack-dev] [neutron][ipv6] dhcp stateful

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 19 09:27:10 UTC 2015

Hi,
I was playing around with the various dhcp/radvd options of neutron.
Very helpful was the matrix [1] that describes the combinations of ra
and adress mode that can be configured.

For dhcpv6-stateful (ra & adress mode) it says: "VM obtains IPv6 address
from dnsmasq using DHCPv6 stateful and optional info from dnsmasq using
DHCPv6 stateful" [1] --> My assumption was that IP adresses and prefix
are assigned via dnsmasq.

But going this way, my instances got the right IP-Adress (great) but
always the subnetmask /128, although I configured /64. Dumping the
traffic and having a look at dnsmasq logs the dhcp process from solicit
to reply worked fine.

I was using rhel7 for guest and host and dnsmasq 2.68.

I googled around and found some hints, that dhcpv6 does not support
prefix delegation. Seems like that it is the job of the radvd daemon
[2][3][4]

Is that true? And if so, what's the use case of configuring
dhcpv6-stateful for ra and address mode?

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/juno/ipv6-radvd-ra.html#rest-api-impact

[2] https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2012-May/015446.html
[3]