[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Stepping down as TripleO PTL

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Feb 17 15:38:01 UTC 2015

On 02/17/2015 09:21 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> There has been a recent monumental shift in my focus around OpenStack,
> and it has required me to take most of my attention off TripleO. Given
> that, I don't think it is in the best interest of the project that I
> continue as PTL for the Kilo cycle.
>
> I'd like to suggest that we hold an immediate election for a replacement
> who can be 100% focused on the project.
>
> Thanks everyone for your hard work up to this point. I hope that one day
> soon TripleO can deliver on the promise of a self-deploying OpenStack
> that is stable and automated enough to sit in the gate for many if not
> all OpenStack projects.

So in the middle of a release, changing PTLs can take 3 avenues:

1) The new PTL is appointed. Usually there is a leadership candidate in
waiting which the rest of the project feels it can rally around until
the next election. The stepping down PTL takes the pulse of the
developers on the project and informs us on the mailing list who the
appointed PTL is. Barring any huge disagreement, we continue on with
work and the appointed PTL has the option of standing for election in
the next election round. The appointment lasts until the next round of
elections.

2) We have an election, in which case we need candidates and some dates.
Let me know if we want to exercise this option so that Tristan and I can
organize some dates.

3) We exercise the new governance resolution for the first time:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/resolutions/20141128-elections-process-for-leaderless-programs.rst

Now this resolution can only be invoked after an election is called and
if there is not a minimum of one self-nominating candidate. So the
question posed in 2) still stands, do you want the election officials to
come up with some dates?

Let us know how TripleO would like to proceed.

Thank you,
Anita.