[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging] Can RPCClient.call() be used with a subset of servers?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Feb 9 21:04:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 02:40 PM, Gravel, Julie Chongcharoen wrote:
> Hello,
>                 I want to use oslo.messaging.RPCClient.call() to invoke a
>                 method on multiple servers, but not all of them. Can this
>                 be done and how? I read the code documentation (client.py
>                 and target.py). I only saw either the call used for one
>                 server at a time, or for all of them using the fanout
>                 param. Neither options is exactly what I want.
> Any response/explanation would be highly appreciated.

This isn't a pattern that has come up before. Before we talk about
adding it, I'd like to understand more about your use case. How do you
know which servers should receive the call, for example? And are you
actually calling and expecting a response, or do you just need to send a
message to those servers?

Doug