[openstack-dev] [nova] will the real v2.1/v3 API status please stand up?

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 00:26:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> I'm not going to hide it, I don't know what's going on with the v2.1 API
> status, i.e. what is the criteria to that thing dropping it's
> 'experimental' label?

So I caught up with Matt on IRC, repeating some references and discussion
here for everyone else

> I wasn't at the mid-cycle meetup for Kilo but even for Juno I'll admit I
> was a bit lost. It's not my fault, I'm more good looks than brains. :)
>
> When I look at approved specs for Kilo, three pop out:
>
> 1. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/v2-on-v3-api
>
> 2. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/api-microversions
>
> 3. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/v3-api-policy

So we need the first to blueprints for v2.1 microversions. We don't need
v3-api-policy merged to release
 v2.1 microversions though I believe it is a separate important bit of work
to reduce tech debt and make
life easier for operators.

> The only one of those that has a dependency in launchpad is the last one
> and it's dependency is on:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-v3-api
>
> Which looks like it was replaced by the v2-on-v3-api blueprint.
>
> If I look at the open changes for each, there are a lot:
>
> 1. https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:
> openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/v2-on-v3-api,n,z
>
> 2. https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:
> openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/api-microversions,n,z
>
> 3. https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:
> openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/v3-api-policy,n,z
>
> Do those all need to merge before the v2.1 API is no longer experimental?

We have an etherpad here which tracks our release criteria for v2.1 and
microversions:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/v2_1_ReleaseCriteria

As mentioned above it doesn't include api-policy

To make life easier for us I'd also like to request that if you review a
changeset that modifies the v2 api that you ensure it also if required is
applied to v2.1(v3 code). If it doesn't apply to v3 then ensure a
v2-only tag is in the commit message. That will help us verify v2 does not
diverge from v2.1 just before
release. After that I think v2 code will be essentially frozen except for
bug fixes and any api changes will
only be made through microversions.

Regards,

Chris

Is the, for lack of a better term, 'completion criteria', being tracked in