[openstack-dev] [oslo] stable/liberty branch needed for oslo-incubator

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Dec 23 00:13:09 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Davanum Srinivas (dims)'s message of 2015-12-17 10:59:03 -0500:
> Thierry,
>
> Right, i believe it was on IRC and not a ML thread. Since there is no
> urgency on this one, we can wait till Doug gets back to revisit the
> decision.

When we started removing more modules from the incubator back-porting
fixes became more challenging. If a module is in the incubator at
the start of a cycle, but graduates and is removed, there's no file
to receive the fix in a stable branch. Furthermore, the fix might
originate in a library module that has changed significantly since the
incubator version, especially if the file was split up to hide some
symbols that are meant to be private in the library.

So we changed the back-port policy to (1) fix the code in the latest
upstream version (lib or incubator), then (2) update the application
master branch (if an incubator sync is needed), then (3) re-create
the fix in the stable version of the library or application (depending
on what's appropriate for the given change).

It looks like I failed to update the documentation to describe this
process change [1].

Doug

[1] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/policy/incubator.html#stable-branches