[openstack-dev] [Fuel] PostgreSQL 9.3 and JSON operations

Alexey Shtokolov ashtokolov at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 15 22:04:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Igor Kalnitsky <ikalnitsky at mirantis.com>
wrote:
> * 11 votes for keeping 9.2
> * 4 votes for restoring 9.3

Igor, please remove my vote from "9.2", I voted for "I'm too conservative,
I want to see classic RDBMS approach" , but not to keep accidentally
downgraded PostgreSQL

If you're asking about using JSON in our PostgreSQL - no, it's not
obligatory, but we can discuss it for specific cases (IMO it's like
"syntactic sugar" for RDB).
If you're asking: should we unexpectedly downgrade DB version after FF and
make upgrade procedure more complicated - strongly disagree.

The reasons are well described above (in Alexandra's mail):

> * It is clear that PostgreSQL downgrade wasn't planned and discussed
> before Feature Freeze, so this change is accidental. We didn't
> investigate all possible consequences and changes required for the
> switch.
> * In Infra we have all our unit tests run on PostgreSQL 9.3.
> * For Maintenance team it adds the burden of supporting yet another
> version while they have PostgreSQL 9.3 anyway. So this change doesn't
> reduce number of supported versions, it rather adds one to the list.

So I think we should keep 9.3 and continue this discussion in the beginning
of 9.0 release.

Best regards,
Alexey Shtokolov

---