[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Separate master node provisioning and deployment

Vladimir Kozhukalov vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
Fri Dec 11 19:45:34 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

At the moment part of the Fuel master deployment logic is located in ISO
kickstart file, which is bad. We'd better carefully split provisioning and
deployment stages so as to install base operating system during
provisioning stage and then everything else on the deployment stage. That
would make it possible to deploy Fuel on pre-installed vanilla Centos 7.
Besides, if we have deb packages for all Fuel components it will be easy to
support Fuel deployment on pre-installed Ubuntu and Debian.

We (Fuel build team) are going to do this ASAP [0]. Right now we are on the
stage of writing design spec for the change [1].

Open questions are:
1) Should fuel package have all other fuel packages like nailgun, astute,
etc. as its dependencies? Or maybe it should install only puppet modules
and deployment script that then could be used to deploy everything else?

2) bootstrap_admin_node.sh runs fuelmenu and then puppet to deploy Fuel
components. Should we run this script as post-install script or maybe we
should leave this up to a user to run this script later when fuel package
is already installed?

Anyway, the final goal is to make ISO just one of possible delivery
schemes. Primary delivery approach should be rpm/deb repo, not ISO.

[0]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/separate-fuel-node-provisioning
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254270/

Vladimir Kozhukalov