[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Evolving the stadium concept

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 06:06:49 UTC 2015

On 9 December 2015 at 04:06, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > well (and I quote him): by adding all those projects under your own
> > project team, you bypass the Technical Committee approval that they
> > behave like OpenStack projects and are produced by the OpenStack
> > community. The Neutron team basically vouches for all of them to be on
> > par. As far as the Technical Committee goes, they are all being produced
> > by the same team we originally blessed (the Neutron project team).
> >
> > The reality is: some of these projects are not produced by the same
> > team, they do not behave the same way, and they do not follow the same
> > practices and guidelines. For the stadium to make sense, in my humble
> > opinion, a definition of these practices should happen and enforcement
> > should follow, but who's got the time for policing and enforcing
> > eviction, especially on a large scale? So we either reduce the scale
> > (which might not be feasible because in OpenStack we're all about
> > scaling and adding more and more and more), or we address the problem
> > more radically by evolving the relationship from tight aggregation to
> > loose association; this way who needs to vouch for the Neutron
> > relationship is not the Neutron PTL, but the person sponsoring the
> > project that wants to be associated to Neutron. On the other end, the
> > vouching may still be pursued, but for a much more focused set of
> > initiatives that are led by the same team.
> >
> >> russellb: Iattempted to start breaking down the different types of
> > repos that are part of the stadium (consumer, api, implementation of
> > technology, plugins/drivers).
> >
> > The distinction between implementation of technology, plugins/drivers
> > and api is not justified IMO because from a neutron standpoint they all
> > look like the same: they leverage the pluggable extensions to the
> > Neutron core framework. As I attempted to say: we have existing plugins
> > and drivers that implement APIs, and we have plugins that implement
> > technology, so the extra classification seems overspecification.
> >
> >> flaper87: I agree a driver should not be independent
> >
> > Why, what's your rationale? If we dig deeper, some drivers are small
> > code drops with no or untraceable maintainers. Some are actively
> > developed and can be fairly complex. The spectrum is pretty wide. Either
> > way, I think that preventing them from being independent in principle
> > may hurt the ones that can be pretty elaborated, and the ones that are
> > stale may hurt Neutron's reputation because we're the ones who are
> > supposed to look after them (after all didn't we vouch for them??)
>
> Armando, definitely agree with you. I think that the first step is
> probably declaring what the core team believes they can vouch for in the
> governance repo. Any drivers that are outside of that need to be
> responsible for their own release and install mechanism. I think the
> current middle ground means that no one is responsible for their release
> / install mechanism. Which is bad for everyone.

Ack

> >> dhellmann: we have previously said that projects run by different teams
> > talk to each other over rest interfaces as a way of clearly delineating
> > boundaries
> >
> > As much as I agree wholeheartedly with this statement (which I made
> > myself during the GBP/Neutron saga), it's unrealistic to convert the
> > interface between Neutron and its extension mechanisms to be purely
> > restful, especially for the price that will have to be paid in the
> process.
>
> Over a 3 year period, what's the cost of not doing it? Both in code dept
> and friction, as well as opportunity cost to have more interesting
> services build of these APIs. You and the neutron team would know better
> than I, but it's worth considering the flip side as well.

Doing nothing is not an option, as far I am concerned. However, rest
interfaces is not the only mechanism to achieve modularity.
Componentization existed way before REST (or even SOA) was a thing!

> >>sdague:I don't think anything should be extending the neutron API that
> > isn't controlled by the neutron core team.
> >
> > The core should be about the core, why would what's built on top be
> > controlled by the core? By comparison, it's like saying a SIG on the
> > physical layer of the OSI stack dictates what a SIG on the session layer
> > should do. It stifles innovation and prevents problems from being solved
> > by the right domain experts.
>
> Changing the REST API isn't innovation, it's incompatibility for end
> users. If we're ever going to have compatible clouds and a real interop
> effort, the APIs for all our services need to be very firmly controlled.
> Extending the API arbitrarily should be a deprecated concept across
> OpenStack.
>
> Otherwise, I have no idea what the neutron (or any other project) API is.

API will still need to evolve, either through extensions or versioning, and
either processes can be tightly controlled. That said, the point I was
trying to make was not so much against the requirement of tight control of
the API, but who can exercise that tight control, because the networking
space is very vast and a small pool of folks can't master it all.