[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Evolving the stadium concept

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Wed Dec 9 17:36:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:06:40AM EST, Sean Dague wrote:
> Changing the REST API isn't innovation, it's incompatibility for end
> users. If we're ever going to have compatible clouds and a real interop
> effort, the APIs for all our services need to be very firmly controlled.
> Extending the API arbitrarily should be a deprecated concept across
> OpenStack.
>
> Otherwise, I have no idea what the neutron (or any other project) API is.

+1 - when I was at Comcast we had some sites that were nova-network and
some that were Neutron, and there were plenty of differences that people
had to bake into their tooling. I really don't want to see it now become
a case where some Neutron deployments have vastly different behaviors. I
think we've got a lot of API extensions currently that are "must have"
(Security Group API, L3 API are probably the biggest) and at some point
we're going to need grasp the nettle of trying to make more of the API
extensions that we have floating around part of a core network api.

So, when it comes to the REST API I think the Neutron project needs to
have opinions on things and standardize behaviors, and that
implementations behind the API is where products and projects can
differentiate.

--
Sean M. Collins