[openstack-dev] [neutron] Multiple locations for documentation of features

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 8 14:03:10 UTC 2015

> From: Henry Gessau <gessau at gmail.com>
> Date: 12/04/2015 02:23 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron] Multiple locations for
> documentation of features
>
> Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:
> > I've noticed that a lot of features are now being documented as RSTs
> > inside of devref. Like the following:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/251859/
> >
> > But there are lots already present. Can someone point out to me what
the
> > criteria is for these documents? I am a little confused about the
> > relationship between neutron-specs, RFE bugs, and some features being
> > documented in devref. Especially when a review includes the actual
code,
> > then a new RST file in devref - wasn't that what specs were for?
>
> Here is how I would like to see things ending up:
>
> 1. RFE: "I want X"
> 2. Spec: "I plan to implement X like this"
> 3. devref: "How X is implemented and how to extend it"
> 4. OS docs: "API and guide for using X"
>
> Once X is implemented I don't want to have to go to 1 or 2 to find
information
> on it. The devref may have a lot of content from the spec, but the spec
is not
> maintained and the implementation may differ in some ways. The devref
should
> be kept current with refactorings, etc. of the implementation.

Lots cheers from me too.  Let me add one thing: "the spec is not
maintained" is a remaining process bug.  A spec by itself is a very useful
thing.  It is the first thing to read when trying to understand the
implementation.  How about we resolve that devref includes a maintained
version of the spec?

Regards,
Mike