[openstack-dev] [neutron][sfc] Neutron stadium distribution and/or packaging

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 05:50:44 UTC 2015

If your sub-project requires changes to the Neutron API or client, then
those need to be made in the in the main neutron and client projects.
monkey-patching or completely replacing components of the main neutron
project is not the way to go.

The purpose of big tent isn't to have a bunch of sub-projects change the
neutron core APIs and reference in ways they deem necessary. That will lead
to a terrible user experience where the core functionality changes
depending on which sub-projects are loaded. Sub-projects should add new
extensions or write drivers/plugins for various backends.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Paul Carver <pcarver at paulcarver.us> wrote:

> It's possible that I've misunderstood "Big Tent/Stadium", but I thought we
> were talking about enhancements to Neutron, not separate unrelated projects.
>
> We have several efforts focused on adding capabilities to Neutron. This
> isn't about "polluting" the Neutron namespace but rather about adding
> capabilities that Neutron currently is missing.
>
> My concern is that we need to add to the Neutron API, the Neutron CLI, and
> enhance the capabilities of the OvS agent. I'm under the impression that
> the "Neutron Stadium" allows us to do this, but I'm fuzzy on the
> implementation details.
>
> Is the "Neutron Stadium" expected to allow additions to the Neutron API,
> the Neutron client, and the Neutron components such as ML2 and the OvS
> agent?

Kevin Benton