[openstack-dev] [neutron] Pecan and Liberty-3

Salvatore Orlando salv.orlando at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 23:11:55 UTC 2015

I'll leave to Kevin's more informed judgment to comment on whether it is
appropriate to merge:

[1] is a list of patches still under review on the feature branch. Some of
them fix issues (like executing API actions), or implement TODOs

This is the current list of TODOs:
salvatore at ubuntu:/opt/stack/neutron$ find ./neutron/newapi/ -name \*.py |
xargs grep -n "TODO"
./neutron/newapi/hooks/context.py:50:        # TODO(kevinbenton): is_admin
logic
./neutron/newapi/hooks/notifier.py:22:    # TODO(kevinbenton): implement
./neutron/newapi/hooks/member_action.py:28:        # TODO(salv-orlando):
This hook must go. Handling actions like this is
./neutron/newapi/hooks/quota_enforcement.py:33:        #
TODO(salv-orlando): This hook must go when adaptin the pecan code to
./neutron/newapi/hooks/attribute_population.py:59:            #
TODO(kevinbenton): the parent_id logic currently in base.py
./neutron/newapi/hooks/ownership_validation.py:34:        #
TODO(salvatore-orlando): consider whether this check can be folded
./neutron/newapi/app.py:40:        #TODO(kevinbenton): error templates
./neutron/newapi/controllers/root.py:150:        # TODO(kevinbenton): allow
fields after policy enforced fields present
./neutron/newapi/controllers/root.py:160:        # TODO(kevinbenton): bulk!
./neutron/newapi/controllers/root.py:190:        # TODO(kevinbenton): bulk?
./neutron/newapi/controllers/root.py:197:        # TODO(kevinbenton): bulk?

In my opinion the pecan API now is "working-ish"; however we know it is not
yet 100% functionally equivalent; but most importantly we don't know how it
works. So far a few corners have bet cut when it comes to testing.
Even if "it works" it is therefore probably usable. Unfortunately I don't
know what are the criteria the core team evaluates for merging it back (and
I'm sure that for this release at least the home grown WSGI won't be
replaced).

Salvatore

[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/neutron+branch:feature/pecan,n,z