[openstack-dev] [neutron] How to make deb and rpm packages for a networking-* project?

Thomas Bechtold tbechtold at suse.com
Tue Aug 25 05:09:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 15:13 +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Can anyone recommend how best to make deb and rpm packages for a
> networking-* project?

You can use the OpenBuildService (https://build.opensuse.org/) to build
packages for different distributions (SUSE, RedHat, CentOS, Debian,
Ubuntu, ...).

> (Specifically, I mean for networking-calico, but I imagine, if
> there's a
> best current practice, that it would apply to all such projects.)
>
> I'm aware that there were recently some discussions on increased
> unification of OpenStack packaging, but I'm not sure where those
> ended up.

For RPM packaging, it's still under discussion. Mostly SUSE and RedHat
folks are working on that currently. See
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-rpm-packaging

> I've also observed a few things from some quick searching:
>
> - Some pages talk about automatically creating an RPM or Debian
> package
> from a Python package's setup.py.  It appears that the Debian variant
> might be more experimental / less officially approved of than the RPM
> variant.

For RPMs there is py2pack. See
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Python .

> - There are official Debian packages (by zigo) for networking-arista
> and
> a few others, but not for all networking-* projects.  These fall
> through
> to Ubuntu/Launchpad as well.
>
> - There are Ubuntu-originated packages for (at least) networking-odl.
>
> So, all advice or pointers appreciated!

Best,

Tom