[openstack-dev] [neutron] How to make deb and rpm packages for a networking-* project?

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 15:34:47 UTC 2015

On 08/24/2015 05:13 PM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Can anyone recommend how best to make deb and rpm packages for a
> networking-* project?

For RPMs, I encourage you to join RDO community and start from sending
a package for Delorean. The docs for the start are at:

https://openstack.redhat.com/packaging/rdo-packaging.html

I will be happy to review the package.

> (Specifically, I mean for networking-calico, but I imagine, if
> there's a best current practice, that it would apply to all such
> projects.)
>
> I'm aware that there were recently some discussions on increased
> unification of OpenStack packaging, but I'm not sure where those
> ended up.

I think it's still in progress and under discussion, so your best bet
for now is to work with existing packaging communities. For RPMs it's
RDO and maybe some SuSE effort (not sure).

> I've also observed a few things from some quick searching:
>
> - Some pages talk about automatically creating an RPM or Debian
> package from a Python package's setup.py.  It appears that the
> Debian variant might be more experimental / less officially
> approved of than the RPM variant.

I believe the problem with autogenerated packages is that in most
cases than not they break lots of target platform rules and requirements
.

> - There are official Debian packages (by zigo) for
> networking-arista and a few others, but not for all networking-*
> projects.  These fall through to Ubuntu/Launchpad as well.

I don't believe there should be an expectation that any single
distribution will package all networking-* packages themselves. That
said, I believe zigo can be interested in getting contributions from you
.