[openstack-dev] [all] PTL/TC candidate workflow proposal for next elections

Anne Gentle | Just Write Click annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Aug 24 13:21:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

> On 08/22/2015 04:35 PM, Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
> > +1 To what Joshua said.
> >
> > I would also like to understand what is the goal we are trying to
> > accomplish by moving this to a repo and submitting a CR and what does
> > this solve or improve on the current way we are doing things?
>
> The point when I proposed this workflow last release cycle was to make
> the election officials job possible to complete with certainty all
> candidates had been acknowledged rather than lost in the noise while
> still being able to do the other daily activities the election officials
> have to accomplish while being election officials.
>
> Noise on the mailing list? Wasn't a concern for me then and isn't now,
> as an interested observer. Making sure the officials can have confidence
> in their work? Very important.

I understand the workflow to be necessary due to the scale at which we're
governing now. With over 40 PTL positions plus the six TC spots rotating, I
sense we need to adopt tooling that ensures every project gets equivalent,
trackable, audit-able, process-oriented support.

Anne

> Thanks,
> Anita.
> >
> > Will it reduce noise? marginally (IMHO).
> >
> > Maish
> >
> > On 08/22/15 06:02, Joshua Hesketh wrote:
> >> I'm struggling to think of a way this might help enable discussions
> >> between nominees and voters about their platforms. Since the tooling
> >> will send out the nomination announcements the only real noise that is
> >> reduced is the "nomination confirmed" type emails.
> >>
> >> While I think this sounds really neat, I'm not convinced that it'll
> >> actually reduce noise on the mailing list if that was the goal. I
> >> realise the primary goal is to help the election officials, but
> >> perhaps we can achieve both of these by a separate mailing list for
> >> both nomination announcements and also platform discussions? This
> >> could be a first step and then once we have the tooling to confirm a
> >> nominees validity we could automate that first announcement email still.
> >>
> >> Just a thought anyway.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Josh
> >>
> >> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 5:44 AM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info
> >> <mailto:anteaya at anteaya.info>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On 08/21/2015 03:37 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> >>     > On 2015-08-21 14:32:50 -0400 (-0400), Anita Kuno wrote:
> >>     >> Personally I would recommend that the election officials have
> >>     >> verification permissions on the proposed repo and the automation
> >>     >> step is skipped to begin with as a way of expediting the repo
> >>     >> creation. Getting the workflow in place in enough time that
> >>     >> potential candidates can familiarize themselves with the change,
> >>     >> is of primary importance I feel. Automation can happen after the
> >>     >> workflow is in place.
> >>     >
> >>     > Agreed, I'm just curious what our options actually are for
> >>     > automating the confirmation research currently performed. It's
> >>     > certainly not a prerequisite for using the new repo/workflow in a
> >>     > manually-driven capacity in the meantime.
> >>     >

> >>     Fair enough. I don't want to answer the question myself as I feel
> >> it's
> >>     best for the response to come from current election officials.
> >>
> >>     Thanks Jeremy,
> >>     Anita.

Anne Gentle
Rackspace