[openstack-dev] [ironic] Re: New API for node create, specifying initial provision state

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Aug 20 22:00:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 09:57:14PM +0100, Lucas Alvares Gomes wrote:
> Hi
>
> > On 21 Aug 2015 6:45 am, "Jim Rollenhagen" <
> >>
> >> +1, there are tons of dragons here. Now that we're to the point where
> >> our state machine is well-defined with a single entrypoint, I think
> >
> > I'm clearly confused. When was 1.6 deleted?
> >

> It wasn't and won't be AFAICT. But I think Jim is talking about
> versions >= 1.11 of the API which will always use ENROLL as the  entry
> point because that's was how things were planned for the new state
> machine.
>
> So yeah, we have more than one entry point depending on the version of
> the API you use.

Right, sorry about that.

I still think the point stands. Every new entrypoint adds
complexity that we need to manage, and I'd love for us to take a long
hard look at new ones and not just allow whatever people want. ACTIVE is
a great example of a state where we make a ton of assumptions about what
the node is doing and what metadata it has.

// jim