[openstack-dev] [Fuel][MOS][Bootstrap] Please try Ubuntu bootstrap in MOS 7.0

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Wed Aug 19 22:21:40 UTC 2015

Mikhail,
thanks for the update. I'm glad that we have an agreement here, and
collaborative decision have been made not to enable something in 7.0 which
is proven to be not yet production ready, such late in the release cycle.
I'm all for completing this work in 8.0 though.

Can you please:
- provide an answer on UX, question which I asked in separate email in this
same thread
- don't even mention "MOS" going further (neither in subject nor in email),
as we are discussing and working with Fuel code here

Thank you,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM Mikhail Semenov <msemenov at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> As we considered today, Ubuntu bootstrap will not be shipped in MOS 7.0.
> It was a hard decision based on the issue with NICs naming [1].
> This bug can be fixed only by changing the naming of network interfaces(
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/)
> and it's too late to do it in MOS 7.0 scope.
> So, this feature is moved to MOS 8.0.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mos/+bug/1482049
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Mikhail Semenov <msemenov at mirantis.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have new feature in the upcoming release MOS 7.0 - Ubuntu-based
>> bootstrap in addition to current CentOS-based one. Design spec can be found
>> here <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/194154/>.
>>
>> Current 7.0 ISO contains 2 bootstrap images: CentOS-based (default) and
>> Ubuntu-based. You can easily switch to Ubuntu-based bootstrap using this
>> steps:
>> 1. Make sure the master node can access Ubuntu (
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu) and MOS (
>> http://mirror.fuel-infra.org/mos-repos) APT repositories.
>> 2. Run the following command on the master node:
>> *fuel-bootstrap-image-set ubuntu*
>> 3. Just in a case restart dnsmasq:
>> *dockerctl shell cobbler service dnsmasq restart*
>> 4. Reboot the slave nodes.
>>
>> There are only 2 weeks left for testing. On 08/27 we will make a decision
>> about using Ubuntu bootstrap by default in MOS 7.0. It depends on the test
>> results and statistics(more deployments - more confidence).
>>
>> I want to ask everyone to try new Ubuntu bootstrap. Please, deploy it on
>> your environments and file bugs in case of failures. It's most important
>> for *partners* *and* *plugin developers*. Feel free to contact Alexei
>> Sheplyakov(feature lead) and me in case of questions.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>

> --